Friday, April 23, 2010

Golden Gate Steamboat Restaurant



Things have not been the same since grandma's passing last year and Chinese New Year is one of those many times when we miss her terribly. Thus, we decided to have the reunion dinner for my side of the family at a restaurant this year. It's the first in many years because reunion to grandma meant throwing a big steamboat feast at home and having her children and grandchildren come home for dinner.

To continue the tradition of having a steamboat reunion dinner, we opted for Golden Gate Steamboat Restaurant as the venue for the dinner. Golden Gate has been around in Penang for a long time and quite frankly I couldn't even remember the last time I was there. I actually have very little expectations of the place because I figured the restaurant may be a bit weary after all these years.

Boy, was I wrong. The restaurant was already almost fully booked when I called to make a reservation a week before Chinese New Year. The restaurant was surprisingly still very well maintained. It is also air-conditioned which was ideal to counter the heat from the steamboat and the warm Chinese New Year weather.



We ordered the Deluxe Set (x2) for 16 pax which came to RM186 and additional ala-carte ingredients for another RM140.20. 



Overall, the price was reasonable and the ambiance better than I expected. In fact it was actually quite a welcomed change from the reunion steamboats at home in years past. At least we did not have to clean up after the dinner. :)

Golden Gate Steamboat Restaurant
No. 77 Cantonment Road, 10250 Penang.
Tel: 04-2261361, 2273421

3 comments:

ck lam said...

Its been a while since I last visited this outlet. Glad to see you sharing it :)
Looks like it is time for a revisit for me.

My Food Fetish said...

Yes, steamboat restaurants are not aplenty in Penang, especially one that survived for so long. Do give it a try again and let me know what you think. :)

New Kid on the Blog said...

i have not visit this place before, i was told is kinda pricey. thanks for sharing.
btw, i know how things are different when love one is no longer with us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails