Friday, August 14, 2009

Ban Chan Kuih (at the junction of Solok Moulmein)


Ban Chan Kuih is a Chinese pancake made of fluor and egg, normally sprinkled with sugar and margarine and the optional grounded peanuts and sweet corn. Nowadays, the newer versions of ban chan kuih come with a variety of fillings e.g. ham, tuna etc.

Every time I walk past this traditional ban chan kuih stall at the junction of Solok Moulmein (in front of Swee Kong coffee shop, right opposite the Pulau Tikus police station), I notice the long queqe of people waiting for their ban chan kuih order. I figured the ban chan kuih must be good, if not why the queqe.


So, one day, I decided to order and try out the ban chan kuih. Since there were a few people before me, I told the ban chan kuih seller that I will be back for my order. He said okay but reminded me that it would take quiet a long time.
I went back to the stall about 30 minutes later for my 12 pieces of peanuts and sweet corn ban chan kuih but they were still not done yet. I had to wait another 20 minutes before they were ready.


After the long wait, it was time to taste the ban chan kuih. It was quite good and crispy when eaten while hot but a bit thick for my taste. And be prepared to wait though ;)

Made in cast iron pans over coal

P/S: My favourite ban chan kuih used to be from the stall in front of a stationary shop at Jalan Tan Sri Teh Ewe Lim, next to So Young Cafe. I haven't eaten the ban chan kuih for a while though so not sure if it's still as thin and crispy. Must try again one of these days.

Related Posts with Thumbnails